Questions To Ask Children
How many of you have arrived at the school gates, given your child a beaming smile and asked the question ‘how was your day?’ to receive a grunt and ‘fine’ as a response, whilst looking at your hand to see what tasty delight you have brought for them? I mean, honestly, you have spent a whole day learning new things and perfecting skills at school and all they have to say is ‘fine’.
So, if ‘fine’ is their response to your question on Monday, on Tuesday try asking one of the below questions and from that start a conversation. After all, recalling their day is an activity and learning process in itself whilst also giving you an insight into their daily activities, likes, dislikes, and friendships.
Here are a few for you to try. Pick a different one each day and see if you can spot a pattern between the questions that they answer keenly and those that have short one-word answers. They may highlight areas of interest that you can build upon at home or possibly issues within the classroom that you and the class teacher can work on.
Here they are, to try for yourself! It’s ‘fine’, you can do it!
- What game did you play during break time?
- What did you do in Maths today?
- What was the funniest thing that happened in the classroom today?
- What was the kindest thing someone did for you today?
- Who made you smile today?
- What new facts did you learn today?
- What was the most exciting part of your day?
- What did you have to eat at snack time?
- What did you choose to eat at lunchtime today?
- How was your day on a scale of 1 to 10 – 1 being terrible and 10 being fantastic?
- Did anyone make you upset today?
- Did anyone make you angry today?
- What would you like to share with me about your day?
- Tell me about a conversation that you had with your teacher today?
- What was your daily assembly about?
- What would you like to learn at school?
- Are there any school clubs that you may like to join?
- What was your favourite thing to learn today?
- What areas of the playground did you explore?
- Did you get reminded about any classroom rules today?
- How are your friends today?
- If you could teach your class for the whole day, what would you teach?
- What challenged you today?
- What made you feel proud today?
- How could you make someone at schools’ day better?
It’s fun, isn’t it? The answers that you get and the conversations that they lead to are fascinating. Try asking another question during family dinner time and get the whole family involved. Make your questions as fun and as interactive as possible and your child will enjoy hearing about your day, just as much as you do theirs.